Bon, J.J., Ballard, T. & Baffour, B. (2019), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society (Series A), Volume 182, Issue 2, Pages 467-493.
Curriculum Vitae of Joshua Bon
For a full CV please email me (link in side bar).
- Doctorate of Philosophy (Statistics)
- Queensland University of Technology, 2022 (expected)
- Master of Philosophy (Statistics)
- University of Western Australia, 2019 (Awarded: Board of the Graduate Research School Dean’s List)
- Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences with Honours in Mathematical Statistics
- University of Western Australia, 2016
- Bachelor of Commerce
- University of Western Australia, 2014
- Research Assistant in Research Methods and Social Statistics at the Institute of Social Science Research, University of Queensland (Full-time, Dec 2015 - Dec 2016).
- Dual-frame telephone survey research
- Election polling research on undecided voters
- Model selection and averaging for categorical data on Australian households
- Statistical consulting for several major industry partners
- Statistical Support Officer at Data Analysis Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia (Part-time, Dec 2013 - Oct 2015).
- Model fitting, development, evaluation, and exploratory data analysis
- Algorithms for spatial data
- Statistical and programming quality assurance
- Data retrieval, cleaning, and analysis
- Creating client-ready plots diagrams in R
- Research Assistant in Economics at the University of Western Australia (Part-time, Aug 2014 - Oct 2015).
- Researching robust modelling of structural economic parameters to infer the effect of monetary policy on the US economy with Dr. Leandro Magnusson
- Parallel Matlab programming combined with use of R and Stata
- Reviewing econometric literature
- Interpreting and discussing results
- Data retrieval, exploratory analysis and maintenance of dataset
- Departmental Research Assistant in Economics at the University of Western Australia (Part-time, Nov 2012 - Dec 2013).
- Writing, editing and proof reading of economic papers
- Data collection, processing and manipulation
- Compilation and production of the Economics Discipline Annual Report
Bon, J.J., Murray, K. & Turlach, B.A. (2019). Statistics and Computing, Volume 29, Issue 1, Pages 79-98.
Including mobile-only telephone users in a statewide preventive health survey: Differences in the prevalence of health risk factors and impact on trends
Baffour, B., Roselli, T., Haynes, M., Bon, J.J., Western, M., Clemens, S. Preventive Medicine Reports (2017). Volume 7, September 2017, Pages 91-98.
Baffour, B., Bon, J.J. (2016). Does Donald Trump "defy all odds"? Significance.
Seminar at Duke University, Durham, North Carlonia, United States of America
Talk at Data Science for Social GOod Symposium, QUT, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Talk at OzViz Workshop, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Talk at Joint Statistical Meetings, Denver, Colorado, United States of America
Talk at University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Talk at International Total Survey Error Workshop, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
Talk at Biometrics by the Border, Mantra on Salt Beach, Kingscliff, Queensland, Australia
Talk at Young Statisticians' Conference (Australia), Twin Towns Conference Centre, Tweed Heads, Queensland, Australia
Talk at Statistical Society of Australia (WA Branch) Young Statistician Meeting, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
Talk at Australian Statistical Conference, Hotel Realm, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Talk at Symposium of the Life Course Centre, Longitudinal Data Conference, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Service and leadership
- Sunny Street, Queensland
- Sunny Street is a doctor and nursing mobile outreach unit providing primary healthcare and complex coordination services for homeless and vulnerable individuals and families. I provide pro bono data visualisation and and volunteer as support staff at their clinics. http://sunnystreet.org
- Student ambassador for SSA at userR! conference, Brisbane 2018
- The useR! conference is the annual international conference for the R programming language
- Program Chair, SSA Young Statisticians Conference, Coolangatta 2017
- Held on the Gold Coast in Queensland over 3 days in September, the Statistical Society’s event attracts young (and young at heart) statisticians from all over Australia. Keynote speakers were Genevera Allen, Di Cook, Bronwyn Harch, and Violetta Misiorek. Kerrie Mengerson also provided a workshop session. http://ysc2017.com.au/
- Organising committee member, 2015 SSA WA Young Statisticians’ Workshop
- A one-day workshop held in Perth primarily for young statisticians in Western Australian.
- OzHarvest Volunteer
- A food rescue program that reduces food waste by redistributing unwanted food from supermarkets to community organisations. I began volunteering once or twice a week to redistribute food from different stores in 2018.http://www.ozharvest.org
- Youth Food Movement (YFM)
- 2016–2017 member and volunteer for the Brisbane chapter. The YFM team focusses on running food education projects for young people. http://www.youthfoodmovement.org.au